Sunday, October 24, 2010

Lukewarm Christianity

I enjoy stimulating conversation.
These only scratch the surface of my thoughts.
First, I am not implying that I am not, nor have I ever been a lukewarm Christian. Most of my 25 years on earth could be categorized as just that.

I hesitate to write my thoughts sometimes, because I imagine they're riddled with theological flaws and errancies, but it's my thoughts. If only I had graduated from Bible college, huh? right..

Revelation 3:15-16 "I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth."

I have a difficult time explaining my frustration with lukewarm Christianity without either feeling and sounding very arrogant or feeling very much like a hypocrite.

This is what I've noticed in my own life, in regards to my often putrid temperature. First, this is how I define lukewarm in my life: I go to church. I sing. I occasionally read the Bible. I pray, if I'm desperate. But my heart is closed. I've decided that I know what I need more than God does, and he's taken a back seat in my life.

If I try to share the gospel with someone in my life when I'm lukewarm, I fall flat on my face. Because the words that come out of my mouth are empty. And they're only my words. I've been spit out, and I'm not allowing the Holy Spirit to be the power behind my words and actions.

When I'm living a lukewarm life and an unsaved person observes me, they don't see anything in my life that they need or even want. It's the most miserable way to live, so it can't be very appealing.

There was a card my youth pastor gave me when I was 17, I think. I still have it.
"The happiest people in this world are those who are children of God striving to be like Jesus.
The second happiest people are those who are pagans living for themselves.
The most miserable way to live is to be a child of God and be living like the world."

Lukewarm Christianity is probably one of Satan's most powerful weapons. I've often felt like I did more harm than good, because of how spineless my testimony was.

I'm done. Just some thoughts.

"Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel." Philippians 1:27

No comments:

Post a Comment