Friday, November 19, 2010

Heated Blanket

My parents decided to surprise me by sending me a heated blanket. I was initially excited, but as I set the blanket up, I realized something. I am no longer a young single man.
I am an 80 year old man.
I go for long walks several times a day, often staring at simple things and smiling, especially little children and dogs.
Everyone around me is much younger than I am.
I talk to inanimate objects. Like scooters.
I sit in my recliner with a cup of tea and listen to classical music while reading a good book.
I cut coupons and wander around the grocery store in a daze, totally lost.
I stare the multitude of options of yogurt and frozen pizza, but I never buy any.
I always check my receipt to see how much savings I had. If I had young grandkids, that's the sort of thing I'd write a letter about.
I stand in my kitchen and debate what I should make for dinner, before usually settling on something very, very simple.
I eat my meal, wash and dry my dishes, and do some further thinking and reminiscing.
If I'm very ambitious, I walk down my hall to check my mail, thereby constituting a productive day. It's usually empty.
I observe the weather regularly, checking the forecast at least 4 times a day.You can bet I'll be relaying it to my grandkids.
I have a hat with ribbons on it that proclaims that I'm a war veteran. Only 80 year old men have those hats.
I sit next to a 93 year old lady in church. We're practically the same age.
Soon, I'll own the clock that projects onto the ceiling so I can know when I woke up in the night. Which, of course, would be more great material to write to the grandkids.
I like to put jigsaw puzzles together.
On an average day I have more conversations with squirrels than I do with human beings. Sometimes the conversations become heated.
80 year old ladies (peers) at Ihop flirt with me.

I'm going to go to bed, but not before going to the bathroom, brushing my teeth, making it to my bed, and then going back to go to the bathroom again just to be safe.

I have a heated blanket.

I love life.

No comments:

Post a Comment